Top Blogs

Want your 15 minutes of fame? Try out our anonymous soapbox. Send an email to and see it listed here. No SPAM Please.

Disclaimer: Postings in 'the soapbox' are the opinions of the particular poster and not necessarily the operator of this site.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Can the state force your marital status?

In this weeks podlets, I rant about my opinions of "common law". I've had very strong opinions on this matter. Way back, when I was first staring my first job. I was chatting with a collegue about university, taxes, etc. The collegue was also very opinionated (or at just trying to yank my chain) about how important it was that I filled my taxes out as common law. Anyway, in this audio podlet, and the article below you can read about my thoughts on the subject, and application of necessary and sufficient conditions for common law status. Hope you enjoy it. One of the debates, I often find myself involved in is the idea of "Common Law" Marriage. First of all, let me clear up the first misconception. Being 'common law' and being 'married' are not the same thing from a legal point of view. There are similarities. In Canada, many couples who have declared themselves as common law are guaranteed similar rights and privileges under the law as married couples. Although specific local laws can vary. The basic premise is the same. If you're in a loving committed relationship with another individual, live in the same household, you should get the same rights as those who sign a piece of paper and pay for a 'marriage license'.

Read More...


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?